Struggling in your condominium community? You have rights

When you live in a condominium, there are bound to be issues that come up from time to time. There is typically a manager and board that works with members to work out issues that arise, although you can work out a problem on your own with the owner of another condominium if you two are amicable. Here are a few ways that you can work through a problem when it comes up.

First, remember that it's easier to talk to someone the first time an issue comes up than to wait until it's a true annoyance. For instance, is your neighbor's music too loud? Try saying something the first time it's too loud. Talk to your neighbor about the sound, so your neighbor knows that it's disruptive. If you wait too long, you might end up frustrated and angry, which doesn't help the discussion.

If you don't feel comfortable approaching a neighbor on your own, the condominium community's manager or board can step in and say something. Usually, a problem is worked out at this stage with no further issues.

Sometimes, this isn't enough, though. You can ask the board to issue a letter to the offensive neighbor to have a problem resolved. This is more formal and directly asks the neighbor to stop malicious or disruptive behavior.

Of course, if this doesn't work, you may have the right to pursue a legal claim, especially if the other neighbor participating in illegal acts like harassing or threatening you. Our website has more on the law and how it applies to condominiums and their owners.